Salmon & Trout Conservation UK in the media
Salmon & Trout Conservation UK – in the media: (August –October 2016)
- Country Life - S &TC auction – 14/09/2016
- Bury free press - River restoration project flying high as anglers prepare to reintroduce lost invertebrates 3/09/16 http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/river-lark-clean-up-campaign-earns-national-praise-1-7565781
- Bury Mercury - River Lark restoration is flying high thanks to anglers’ dedication – 28/0/16
- East Anglian Daily Times (Essex)- River restoration project flies high as anglers prepare to introduce lost invertebrates – 3/09/16: http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/river_restoration_project_flying_high_as_anglers_prepare_to_reintroduce_lost_invertebrates_1_4682394
- North Wales Daily Post – Welsh Rivers in a shocking state 29/09/16
- Newmarket Journal – River Lark clean-up campaign earns Conservation body praise 15/09/2016
- Shooting Times – Anglers Restore Suffolk River 15/09/16
- Fly Fishing & Fly Tying – Is Farming broke – 01/10/2016
- Fly Fishing & Fly Tying – S&TC Auction – 1/08/2016
- Trout & Salmon – Blue Olives Return to Suffolk Stream – 28/09/2016
- Trout & Salmon – Help to identify bugs (mobile App) – 01/10/2016
- Trout & Salmon – Fisheries science team strengthened – 20/08/2016
- The Field – S&TC Auction – 1/09/2016
- Fieldsports – dates for the diary – S&TC Auction – 1/8/2016
- Fly Fishing & Fly Tying – Suffocating in sediment (mobile app) 01/08/2016
- Shooting Times – S&TC Auction – 28/09/2016
- Shooting Times – Mobile App for River Inverts - 15/07/2016
- Shooting Times – Experts to probe conditions in Welsh Waterways – 28/9/2016
- Cumberland & Westmorland Herald – Riverfly Census – 24/10/2016
- AOL web - Salmon costs soar 16% - after perfect storm for fish - 15/07/2016 http://money.aol.co.uk/2016/06/21/salmon-costs-soar-16-after-perfect-storm-for-fish/
- Fly fishing and Fly Tying – European intervention on lice
- Scottish Daily Mail – Sea life crisis at fish farms hits fresh salmon stock: 6/11/2016
- Dereham Times – Joining Force will help repair a river – 27/10/2016
- Shooting Times – Experts to probe conditions in more Welsh waterways –28/09/2016
- Eastern Daily Press – River Report Sparks Action from Farmers – 22/10/2016 http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farming/farmers_discuss_ways_to_reduce_pollution_in_river_wensum_1_4745694
- Western Morning News – Award links fly-fishing to the world’s top hotels – 25/10/2016
- Farming UK - Cluster of farmers vow to protect Norfolk river from further pollution – 24.10/2016 : https://www.farminguk.com/News/Cluster-of-farmers-vow-to-protect-Norfolk-river-from-further-pollution_44579.html
- Flintshire Chronicle – River chiefs in Save Our Salmon appeal – 06/10/2016
- Fly Fishing & Fly Tying – River gets B-wo injection – 01/11/2016
- Shooting Times – Norfolk Farmers Team up to Save the Wensum – 2/11/2016
- North Wales Daily Post - Save Our Salmon: Anglers in Wales urged to release all caught fish as crisis deepens – 29/09/2016. http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/save-salmon-anglers-wales-urged-11955235
- Fly Fishing Blog - Norfolk farmers form a cluster to protect the River Wensum – 4/11/2016 : http://flyfishing-blog.com/flyfishing-blog.com/2016/11/04/norfolk-farmers-form-a-cluster-to-protect-the-river-wensum/
- Sunday Herald – Salmon illness will spread out to wild stock – 29/10/2016
Latest Media coverage to 11 January 2016
- Alastair Robertson: Salmon lice statistics need attention now
- Wildlife trust set to manage beavers
Bridport News & Dorset County Journal, 17 Dec 2015, p39, UK,
- Tackling lice
Daily Record, 18 Dec 2015, p51, UK,
- Conservation news
British Wildlife, 01 Dec 2015, p141,143,144, UK,
- Editor's letter
Trout & Salmon, 01 Jan 2016, p7, UK,
- BBC's good news
Trout & Salmon, 01 Jan 2016, p46, UK,
- Don't blame fish farms for salmon loss
Western Morning News (Devon), 21 Dec 2015, p12, UK,
- Wildlife trust set to manage beavers
Bridport & Lyme Regis News, 17 Dec 2015, p39, UK,
- Letters Page
Western Morning News (Cornwall), 21 Dec 2015, p12,
- Beaver dams 'excellent' for fish
Countrymans Weekly, 23 Dec 2015, p26,
- A mild Christmas will give top festive sport
Evening Chronicle (Newcastle), 24 Dec 2015, p49,
- Something fishy at the Senedd
Daily Post (Wales) [Farm and Country], 31 Dec 2015, p8,
- Back on the water with Hugh Miles
Angling Times, 29 Dec 2015, p28,29,:
- Ceramics artist boosts conservation charities
Blackmore Vale Magazine, 01 Jan 2016, p8,
- FISH FARM LICE OUT OF CONTROL, SAYS REPORT
Trout Fisherman, 06 Jan 2016, p80,81,
Media coverage to 9 December
- Rick Stein urged to re-think his backing for salmon farm after conservation concerns
- Loch Duart - off the menu?
- Top chefs urged to examine environmental record of farmed salmon.
- 8 December 2015 - The Times (Scotland): Stars told to stop backing fish farm
Media Coverage to 18 November
Media coverage to 9 November 2015
Latest media coverage to 7 October
- Anglers in new attack on fish farming amid claims salmon stocks are falling (From Herald Scotland)
- The Scotsman
- BBC Radio Scotland - Newsdrive, 06/10/2015.
Interview starts at 55.25 mins...
Media Coverage to 29 September
Media coverage to 18 September
Media coverage to 31 August
Trout & Salmon October coverage
Media coverage to 31 July
Media coverage to 25 July
Media Coverage to 23 July
Media Coverage to 20 July
Media coverage to 16 July
- 16/06/2015 "Salmon leap out for freedom bid" - Press and Journal (Highlands and Islands)
- 17/06/2015 "Thousand of Salmon escape from fish farm sparking stock fears" - Dundee Courier
- 17/06/2015 "Thousand of Salmon escape from fish farm sparking stock fears" - Perth Courier
- 26/06/2015 "Loch's sea-lice rise 'challenging weather affected treatment'" - Argyllshire Advertiser
- 26/06/2015 "Lambourn sewage plan simply beggars belief" - Newbury Weekly News
- 01/07/2015 "Wanted Funds for fly census" - The Field
- 08/07/2015 "Looking up on the Don" - Shooting Times and Country Magazine
- 12/07/2015 "Fracking safeguards" - The Sunday Telegraph
- 01/08/2015 "Farms on agenda" - July Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
- 01/08/2015 "Mess, Granny" - July Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
- 01/08/2015 "Solway relief at net closure" - July Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
- 01/08/2015 "Wholesale dredging" - July Fly Fishing and Fly Tying
Media Coverage up to 3 July
- 12/06/2015 "Council terminates lease for stake nets near Annan" - BBC News
- 12/06/2015 "Calls for tough action on lice infested fish farms" - Press and Journal
- 16/06/2015 "6,000 salmon escape Argyll fish farm (that's £240,000 dropped into the ocean)" - Press and Journal
- 16/06/2015 "6,000 salmon escape Argyll fish farm after storm" - The Scotsman
- 01/08/2015 "Greenland to net fewer salmon" - Trout & Salmon
- 01/08/2015 "1,000 Solway salmon spared" - Trout & Salmon
S&TCUK Press Coverage received to 22 June
- 04/06/2015 Kentish Express (Ashford). "Help us defend key nature laws"
- 10/06/2015 Carmarthen Journal (Amman & Towy Valleys). "The Welsh Game Fair"
- 10/06/2015 Carmarthen Journal (Town). "The Welsh Game Fair"
- 11/06/2015 The Journal (Newcastle). "Billy lands brilliant South Linden haul"
- 11/06/2015 The Scotsman. "Calls for farmed fish cull over deadly lice"
- 11/06/2015 The Times Scotland. "Call to halt trout farms as lice spread"
- 12/06/2015 Press & Journal (Aberdeen). "Call for cull of salmon stocks after sea lice 'explosion' on fish farms"
- 12/06/2015 Press & Journal (Highlands & Islands). "Call for cull of salmon stocks after sea lice 'explosion' on fish farms"
- 13/06/2015 Cumberland & Westmorland Herald. "The state of our rivers"
- 15/06/2015 The Times Scotland. "Salmon quota cut by half for anglers using ancient nets"
- 16/06/2015 Press & Journal (Aberdeen). "Salmon leap out for freedom bid"
- 01/07/2015 Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. "High Lice numbers"
- 01/07/2015 Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. "Riverfly Census springs to defend chalkstream"
- 01/07/2015 Fly Fishing & Fly Tying. "Scotland's salmon catches lowest in over 60 years"
- 01/07/2015 Trout & Salmon. "60 years of inspiration"
- 01/07/2015 Trout & Salmon. "Call for farm cull"
- 01/07/2015 Trout & Salmon. "Fishing reports"
- 01/07/2015 Trout & Salmon. "Vote to save our salmon"
22 August. Drafting statement on the utter inadequacy of Scottish Government's ambitions regarding spring salmon conservation, following SG's announcement of a consultation on the same.
18 August. Catastrophe of salmon farm 'sea-lice soup' hits juvenile salmon and sea-trout across huge area of the west coast and western isles
S&TCS congratulates local council for principled planning decisions to safeguard wild salmon and sea-trout but castigates Minister for allowing wild salmon catastrophe to continue on his watch
- 18/8. http://www.fishnewseu.com/scottish-news/12837-a-matter-of-lice-and-death.html
- 18/8. http://forargyll.com/2014/08/sea-lice-soup-threatens-juvenile-salmon-as-stas-condemn-ministers-lack-of-action-and-praise-highland-council/
- 18/8. www.flyfishing.co.uk "Sea lice out of control on Scotland's west coast, say S&TCUK".
- 19/8. Press and Journal. "Fish farm closure call over lice: killer parasites out of control on half Scotland's operations - claim".
Autumn 2014. Trout& Salmon - News Reel. "Governments urged to save salmon".
13 August. Conservation organisation calls on Scottish Ministers to act now to limit salmon exploitation in response to the worst runs in decades.
- 13/8. BBC Radio Scotland. HCA interviewed (12.50 pm).
- 14/8. AGS interviewed on BBC Radio Highland.
- 14/8. The Times. "Calls for a coastal netting quota to save salmon stocks".
- 15/8. www.flyfishing.co.uk "Poor 2014 Scottish salmon run demands immediate cessation of salmon nets say S&TCUK".
- 19/8. Fis.com "Conservation organisation calls on Scottish Ministers to act now to limit salmon exploitation in response to worst runs in decades".
- 22/8. fishandfly.com "UK's S&TCUK calls for new limits on salmon exploitation in response to worst runs in decades".
Conservation organisation submits complaint to Europe over Scottish Government’s failure to assess impact of salmon netting.
The Field, July 2014
Netting catch of salmon in Scotland leaps by massive 50% in 2013
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0419h85/Newsdrive_30_04_2014/(Hugh Campbell Adamson interviewed from 1 hr 42 mins..)
- http://news.stv.tv/north/273494-salmon-and-trout-association-accuses-government-over-net-killings/(Hugh Campbell Adamson interviewed)
- 29.04.14 Netting catch of salmon in Scotland leaps by massive 50% in 2013. Scottish Government is presiding over "unrestricted wholesale slaughter".
- 29.04.14 Fish and Fly. "Scottish salmon nets take 50% more fish in 2013".
- 30.04.14The Times. "Ministers accused of sanctioning wholesale salmon slaughter".
- 30.04.14Press & Journal. "Major slump in salmon catches".
- 30.04.14 BBC Radio Scotland. Newsdrive (from 1 hr 42 min..)http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0419h85/Newsdrive_30_04_2014/
- 30.04.14 STV News (both 6 pm and 10.30 pm broadcasts)http://news.stv.tv/north/273494-salmon-and-trout-association-accuses-government-over-net-killings/
- 01.05.14 The Courierhttp://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/government-accused-of-allowing-south-esk-salmon-slaughter-1.345944
- 02.05.14 The Times. Letters. "Nets v rods".
Asda won't buy salmon from Wester Ross Fisheries - thanks to S&TCUK Campaign
Media coverage: Sainsbury's packaging Part 2
- NGO shops Sainsbury's for salmon mislabelling, again, undercurrentnews.com, 22nd July
- Sainsbury’s still selling mislabelled Argyll farmed salmon 8 weeks after public apology for ‘error’, foragyll.com, 22nd July
- Sainsbury’s still selling mainland farmed salmon labeled as being from Skye, Lewis or Uist, fishupdate.com, 22nd July
- Sainsbury’s apologise again for salmon labelling error, BBC.com, 22nd July
- Sainsbury’s ‘Hebridean’ salmon was from mainland, The Times, 23rd July
- Supermarket apologises after farmed salmon labelled as from Hebrides, stv.tv, 23rd July
- Mislabelled Sainsbury’s salmon still being sold despite public apology, fis.com, 23rd July
- Sainsbury apology over label mistake, heraldscotland.com, 23rd July
Fish Farm Parasites Eating Sea Trout Alive
- Fish-farm parasites eating Wester Ross trout alive, Scotmans.com, 3rd July
- Report says fish-farm parasites are eating wild sea trout alive in Wester Ross, Herald Scotland, 4th July
- Wild trout ’eaten alive by sea lice from fish farms‘, The Times, 4th July
Marine Scotland Science
Marine Harvest Seeks ASC Certification
- Scotmans, 21 May: Marine Harvest urged to love salmon cages
- BBC News, 21 May: Salmon firm Marine Harvest faces calls to move fish farms
- The Guardian, 21 May: Marine Harvest agrees to limit pesticides and seal killings
- For Argyll, 20 May: Good news from salmon farming sector: Marine Harvest breaks ranks and seeks ASC certification
S&TCUKS report Sainsburys to ASA and TS
- Evening Telegraph, 21 May: Sainsbury's accused on salmon mislabelling
- UnderCurrentNews, 20 May: Sainsbury's apologises for salmon packaging error
- Sainsbury's admit 'mislabelling' Scottish salmon
- Sainsbury's accused of misleading salmon adverts
- Express and Star, 21 May: Sainsbury's accused on salmon label
- Herald Scotland, 21 May: Sainsbury's admit salmon mis-labelling
- Hebrides News, 20 May: Sainsburys wrongly labels salmon as from Hebrides
- Financial Times, 20 May: Sainsburys caught over salmon labelling
- ForArgll.com, 20 May: Salmon & Trout Conservation UK reports Sainsburys to Advertising Standards – and gets apology
- Sainsbury's admit Scottish salmon labelling error
- Sainsbury's challenged over salmon claims
Pesticides from salmon farms poison Scottish lochs
S&TCS Supports Amendments to Aquaculture and Fisheries Bill
Report raises serious concerns over the RSPCA's Freedom Food certification scheme
- fis.com: Salmon & Trout Conservation UK uncovers salmon certification violations
- seafoodsource.com: S&TCUK blasts farmed salmon certification scheme
- The Guardian: Freedom Foods failing to crack down on poor salmon farming standards
- The Times Online: Freedom Food scheme fig leaf for farms
- Fish News EU
- Undercurrentnews: Report slams Freedom Food program
- Argyll News: Part 1: RSPCA compromised by Freedom Food certification for farmed salmon
- Argyll News: Part 2: RSPCA / Freedom Food assurances on farmed salmon; includes the RSPCA/Freedom Food response to the original article
S&TCUK Chalkstream Complaint
- Nature Studies: We've cleaned up most of our rivers - but what about the rest?
Chalk rivers in particular are being hard hit by a subtle form of pollution. The Independent
- S&TCUK Chalksteam Concerns Highlighted by BBC TV South
- The Field. October Issue. Paul Knight letter to the Editor
- Trout&Salmon. October Issue (out 27 September). Newsreel: main story
- BBC iPlayer: Countryfile 14/10/2012
- Salisbury Journal: Legal complaint launched over state of the Avon
- Flyfishing and Flytying magazine: November issue. Newsreel and Editors Comment
- Save Our Streams, Country Life.
- The Field. November Issue. Richard Bronks, S&TCUK Chairman, writes for the "If I Ruled the World" series
Scottish Salmon Farms Seabed Pollution
- forargyll.com: FoI discosures lead Salmon & Trout Conservation UK to identify worrying seabed pollution at Scottish salmon farms
- fishnewseu.com: Sustainable salmon farms under fire
- forargyll.com: Scottish Salmon Producers fight back
- forargyll.com: Seabed salmon farm pollution: S&TCUK provide figures to negate challenge from SSPO
- Sunday Times 9.9. p11: "Salmon Farms turn seabed into graveyard"
- Sunday Times 9.9. p25: Charles Clover comment: "Dirty Secrets down on the salmon farm"
- The Guardian 11.9: "Scottish fish farmers use record amounts of parasite pesticides"
- The Guardian 11.9: "Chemicals to control salmon parasites"
- BBC Businesss news 11.9: How can Scotland cope with China's salmon demands?
- iPlayer BBC Radio Four: Farming Today 10th September. About 7 minutes into the programme. Guy Linley-Adams discusses the seabed pollution caused by open-net salmon farming (this broadcast is available to listen to for the next four days).
- FishyLeaks 11.9: Scottish Salmons Toxic Toilets Named & Shamed!
- BBC Radio Four: Chinese Salmon